DMV Registration fees when exporting your car overseas

Posted By Alex Naumov on March 16, 2017 at 11:50 AM


Have you purchased or sold a car from the United States for export? The US Department of Motor Vehicles, better known as the DMV, will likely chase you for vehicle registration fees. However, if the vehicle was sold and exported overseas, you do not have to pay them. All you have to do is complete a statement of facts, and attach a proof of export. 

  • Statement of fact form to complete, print and mail to the DMV: Here
  • You should also ask your shipping company to provide a proof of export in form of a Bill of Lading (BOL)

After submitting this documentation, the DMV will stop chasing you for registration fees on a vehicle you no longer own.

Topics: Car Shipping, Car Shipping Guide

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Shipping Calculator

RSS Feed

70's Collectible Cars: The AMC Pacer

These two Pacers are being shipped to Germany. The 1970's was a forward thinking period in car design. Designers rushed to make futuristic looking vehicles which awed the public. We would see the...Read more

Big Ass Turbo: Mazda RX7

A rotary engine is a real treat to hear, especially on this Mazda RX7 we shipped to Germany. Fitted with a Big Ass turbo, among other upgrades, this RX7 is believed to develop over 800hp at the...Read more

Classic Toyota Pickup Heading For Adventures Overseas

Toyota is well known for it's reliable sedans like the Camry, but we wish their pickup trucks would garner the same attention. Just take this 1988 Tacoma 4x4 for example. When it arrived at...Read more