How To Import You Car To The EU Tax Free
How to avoid paying VAT and duty tax when importing your car to Europe.
If you are permanently moving to one of the 28 member states of the European Union you may be able to avoid VAT and customs duties on the personal vehicle you bring with you.
Here are the conditions you must meet:
- Reside outside of the EU for at least 12 continuous months
- Owned the personal vehicle for at least 6 months outside of the EU
- You and the vehicle must enter the EU at around the same time
- Must continue using it as a personal vehicle for the next 12 months in the EU
If you meet the above requirements, your vehicle can receive and exemption from VAT and duties when entering the EU.
Here is what you will need to provide:
- Copy of your passport or green card
- Copy of previous US vehicle registration
- Copy of US vehicle de-registration confirmation
- Copy of US vehicle title
- Previous US address
- Duration of your residence in the US with supporting documents
- EU address of where you plan to stay
- Supporting documents for when you are moving to the EU
- Completed Power of Attorney (POA) form
After receiving the required documents, our international car shipping team will help you file the documents to ensure your vehicle properly enters the EU.
Here are some additional tips for avoiding paying VAT and duty tax when importing your car to Europe:
- Do your research. Make sure you understand the import rules and regulations for the country you are importing your car to.
- Get help from a professional. If you are not sure how to import your car, or if you are unsure if you are eligible for any exemptions, you can get help from a professional customs broker.
- Be prepared. Make sure you have all the necessary documentation when you import your car. This includes proof of ownership, residency, and insurance.
By following these tips, you can help to ensure that you avoid paying VAT and duty tax when importing your car to Europe.
Please contact us if you have any questions about importing your car to the EU.