Import Your Car to Norway Duty-Free
In case you are permanently moving to Norway please be aware that there is no option to import a car as
relocation cargo to avoid VAT and customs duties. You will have to pay the same duties and VAT as if the car was purchased. The following duties and VAT rules apply when shipping a vehicle to Norway.
- Importing any EV is free of duties and VAT
- All other cars are taxed with 25% VAT
- The so-called 20 years or older veteran cars are duty free
- All vehicles between 10 and 20 years of age get a 90 % discount on duties
- Duties are calculated on many different factors like the engine of a vehicle, weight, etc.
You can only bring personal items to Norway without paying duties and VAT if you are relocating there. You must fulfill the following requirements to get your vehicle imported as removal goods.
- The center of your life must have been outside Norway for at least 12 continuous months
- After relocating to Norway, you have one year to import your vehicle
For this kind of customs application, our local agent needs the following documents and information from your side.
- Copy of your Passport
- Your last address in the US
- Your address in Norway
- Proof of stay in the US (Employment contract, bank statement, return flight ticket, etc.)
- A packing list of all your personal belongings
- If you are importing a vehicle the bill of sale for the vehicle or current value of the vehicle (a Kelley
Blue Book printout is sufficient)
Please be informed that students are excluded from this kind of clearance process. Contact us for more details about importing your vehicle to Norway duty-free.