EIN to Replace Social Security Numbers for Shipping Cars Overseas
In an apparent effort to reduce chances of identity theft, the IRS has changed the ID protocol for shipping cars internationally. Employee Identification Numbers, commonly referred to as EIN, will be used in place of a Social Security number. The new numbers are free of charge and easy to obtain. Just follow the steps listed below to make the exchange.
Protect Yourself When Shipping Cars Internationally
Here are the steps to take to get your EIN:
- Open your web browser and go to www.irs.gov and click "Apply Online Now"
- The next screen will be "Important Information Before You Begin." Click Begin Application
- Click the area at the top titled "Sole Proprietor," scroll down and click CONTINUE
- The next screen confirms type of Sole Proprietor. Again click on Sole Proprietor and CONTINUE
- This screen reconfirms Sole Proprietor. Click CONTINUE
- The next screen is title "Why is the Sole Proprietor requesting an EIN?" Click STARTED A NEW BUSINESS. This does not obligate you as a business owner but is the step to obtain an EIN. Click CONTINUE.
- On the next screen, click "I am the sole proprietor."
- Supply your US address, not your foreign address. If you choose to have your EIN mailed to you, this will be the address to which it is sent. Click CONTINUE.
- On this screen supply your country of residence, your state of residence and the current date. Click CONTINUE. This address must be your most recent address in the US.
- The next screen is a series of questions. Select NO to them all and click CONTINUE.
- On this screen you indicate that you are obtaining an EIN for export purposes. At the bottom of the screen click OTHER and type "FULFILLING FEDERAL REQUIREMENT TO EXPORT." Click CONTINUE.
- The final screen is titled "How Would You Like to Receive Your EIN Confirmation Letter?" Select RECEIVE LETTER ONLINE. Choose this option to avoid possible shippment delays while waiting for mail confirmation.
- Click CONTINUE to receive your EIN.
- Next, review your EIN number, print your letter (mutiple copies advised) and supply that number to your move manager. Once you have completed your move you still have the option to cancel your EIN number with the IRS.
If you encounter difficulties going through this process you can call the IRS at 1-800-829-4933, Monday through Friday from 7:00AM to 10:00 PM local time.