UK vehicle tax on Classic Cars

Posted By Dmitriy Shibarshin on February 23, 2017 at 3:03 PM


When importing classic cars to the United Kingdom from the USA you are faced with a number of regulations, documentation requirements, and taxes. But besides everything required to get your car shipped to the UK, you also need to be able to legally drive it on the road. This is where the vehicle tax comes into question.

Lucky for you, the UK vehicle tax charged on classic cars is fairly simple. The vehicle tax is based on CO2 emissions and fuel type. You can find exact tax rate tables here.

If your vehicle was originally registered on or after January 8th, 1976 you must pay vehicle tax and pay MOT.

If registered between January 1st, 1960 to January 7th ,1976, no vehicle tax has to be paid, you can get away with only an MOT.

And if your vehicle was registered before January 1st, 1960 no MOT or vehicle tax has to be paid at all.

For more details, or if you have any questions regarding the UK classic car tax code check out the official UK government website.

Topics: United Kingdom, Classic Cars

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Shipping Calculator

RSS Feed

Insane 900hp Corvette C7.R from Gumball 3000

When Chevrolet participates in endurance racing it uses the Corvette C7.R race car which produces just under 500hp. Apparently the horsepower was not enough for the owner of this Corvette C7.R...Read more

10 Incredible Cars For Sale At This Year's Monterey Car Auctions

Photo Courtesy of RM Sotheby's It's that time of the year again when thousands of incredibly special cars go on sale in California. Taking place each year, the Monterey Car Auctions attract...Read more

What the Proposed 2040 UK Ban on Internal Combustion Engine Vehicles Means For Classic Cars

The UK government has announced a plan to ban the sale of new vehicles powered by internal combustion engines starting in 2040. They also plan to impose further taxes on high polluting vehicles, and...Read more